Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Power of Practice

It was an "AHA!" moment, for sure.

I wish I could remember whose email I was reading, so I could give credit, but what I do remember was the challenge. The writer said, in effect, that what separates the pros from the posers is that the pros are consistent. I thought, simultaneously, "AHA!" and "Well, duh!" That's just so simple. But why do I often miss this little principle? So I set a challenge for myself: to write every day.

I've heard story after story, as I'm sure you have, of the athlete who rises in the wee hours each and every morning, to begin her 4-hour workout; or how about the musician who practices relentlessly every evening, while his friends are out having fun?

So I've been a poser, not a writer.

And so, I have begun, again, to write. It isn't always on this blog, but it's always some form of original writing outside of my normal journaling. Sometimes it's a blog post, sometimes a poem, or if I'm at my keyboard, maybe it's a song. I won't say these creations are always works that I wish to share, but the main point here is the practice.

Remember that old adage, "Practice makes perfect."? Well, I'm human, and I don't think my writing will ever be flawless, but a less-used definition of perfect (which happens to be the same one often used in the Bible) means "complete, full-grown." So, yeah, I think my writing, over time, can be "perfect," in the latter sense.

I've had to change some things in my life, like my alarm, my thoughts (it isn't always easy to think of something to write), and my time spent on social media. It's amazing how much more I get accomplished these days, when before, I thought I didn't have time to write. Now, it's almost addicting to see how much productivity I can squeeze into my waking hours!

I can hear some of you screaming, "Balance!" And you're absolutely correct - we must maintain balance, get plenty of rest, exercise, and relaxation. This things are vital to the healthy, whole person. But my personal experience tells me that we too often go overboard on the R&R in the name of balance. Remember, God worked six days and rested one, as did our ancestors, daylight to dark.

One more, yet unexpected, observation about this writing binge. I have noticed my creativity is growing. Not only is the writing itself coming more easily; my mind seems sharper overall. And innovative ideas are once again coming to me, that have nothing at all to do with writing.

All because of a challenge from someone I've never met, and my decision to take that challenge.

What about you?

What is it, that you need to "practice?"

What are you waiting for?


Peace,


Davina

No comments:

Post a Comment