Friday, June 27, 2014

You Are What You Eat

Have you ever heard the phrase “You are what you eat?” I’ve heard this all my life, and I have found it so true. Especially as I get more mature (aka older), I know this all too well. I am experiencing a whole new realm of how certain foods affect my body – how my digestive system reacts, how certain foods trigger headaches, and how for months and even years I may WEAR those Christmas or Valentine treats – yes, I BECOME what I eat!

Another truth I’m discovering is that I AM what I eat in the realm of my soul.
If I consistently “eat” negative, I become negative. If I eat positive … you got it! I BECOME positive!

The Apostle Paul encourages the reader in Philippians 4:8, “ Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” Think on these things, friend, so that you BECOME these things.

And again He writes in his second letter to the Corinthians, “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit” (2 Cor. 3:18).

In other words, “What I consistently behold, I become” (Dr. Ray Vinson).

In OTHER, other words, I AM WHAT I EAT.

I’ve asked myself some questions lately, and I challenge you to do the same … and join me in the simple prayer at the end.

Who are my closest friends? Do I surround myself with negative, pessimistic people, or with people who uplift and encourage?

What am I reading, watching? Smut? Depressing songs? Trash TV? Or do I fill my mind with what is good – the stuff of Philippians 4:8?

What am I speaking? The things that come out of my mouth, immediately turn around and go right back into my ears! Am I speaking death, or am I speaking life?

Father, I repent from eating the wrong kinds of food for my soul – foods that bring death. I choose today to surround myself with life, from my choice of friends, to the things I read and watch, to the things that I speak myself. I choose life! Amen!

Peace,

Davina

No comments:

Post a Comment